Sacred Heart offers a wide variety of student-centered activities—from leadership to social and service opportunities—that are designed to enrich student experience and provide ways to learn and grow.
Many student activities are listed in the After School Program; the activities below are also open to students of varying grade levels.
- Student Council
- Middle School Socials
- Bagel Sales
- Spirit Week
- Red/White Team Competitions
- Middle School Musical
Each May, Middle School students are elected by their peers to serve as student leaders of the school. Both Hardey Prep and the Academy elect their own slate of officers. In addition, in the fall, each Middle School class elects one Hardey and one Academy representative to sit on Student Council, as well as fill any vacancy position in the council.
This group meets on a weekly to biweekly basis during the Middle School lunch period to plan programs, write policies and discuss student concerns. Student Council oversees school traditions like the Red and White Induction, school pep rallies, the Halloween Parade and Hotdog Lunch entertainment.
Student Council 2019-20—Dates to Remember
- Monday, August 19 and Tuesday, August 20, 11 am-3 pm: Student Council Retreat will be held in the Driehaus Center
- Tuesday, September 3, 9:30 am: New Student orientation/building tours
- Friday, September 6: Officer Induction/Liturgy in the chapel
- Academy: 8:45 am
- Hardey: 10 am
- Friday, September 20: Red/White Induction
- Mid-September (TBD): Mascot auditions
- Mid-September (TBD): Vacant Position Elections
Middle School Socials are open for the entire 6th, 7th and 8th grade student body. Dates will be posted as they are determined by the Student Council. Socials usually take place on the school grounds, generally in the gym and surrounding areas. Forms may be downloaded here or picked up in the cafeteria. The form and $10 fee must be turned in to Ms. Crandall in the cafeteria by noon on the day of the social.
Questions? Contact: Mr. Paulson
Call for Bagel Sale Proposals for 2019-20
SHS holds Bagel and Juice Sales in the school cafeteria to benefit student-proposed organizations. Bagel Sales are scheduled for selected Thursdays and Fridays each month (Nov. 14-15, Dec. 12-13, Jan. 16-17, Feb. 20-21 March 19-20, April 23-24 and May 14-15). Priority will be given to organizations that have not been served in the past school year. Interested groups (students, classrooms, advisories) should submit a proposal using the guidelines below by noon on Friday, Oct. 4, 2019, using the guidelines below.
1) Name of organization the Bagel Sale will benefit
2) Name(s) of SHS students, classmates, advisory members who will be hosting the Bagel Sale
3) Name and email address of contact person for sale
4) 2-3 sentences describing what this organization does and how the money raised will benefit the organization/project
5) Indicate two preferred dates you would like to hold sale (see dates above).
Proposals due to Ms. Henderson by noon on Friday, October 4, 2019
Oct. 17 and 18
Proposed by SHS Student Council
Fall Spirit Week: October 21-25, 2019
Spring Spirit Week: February 3-7, 2020
MONDAY-FRIDAY (10/21-10/25) PENNY WARS– All Week
Kick-off of the Red vs. White Penny Wars. Students are encouraged to bring in their pennies (and other change or bills of their choice) to deposit in special Red Team and White Team buckets in the cafeteria. One point is earned for each cent in a team’s bucket and the total of the money collected will provide scholarships for students attending the Sacred Heart Elementary School in Uganda.
Note: Monday - Thursday are uniform days
- Monday 10/21: Decades Music Monday – Music throughout the decades will be played at all lunch periods.
- Tuesday 10/22: Red & White Accents Day – Students can earn points for wearing red and white accents.
- Wednesday 10/23: Double Kindness Coupon Day - All acts of kindness will earn a double coupon.
- Thursday 10/24: Crazy Sock Day – Students may wear their most interesting socks.
- Friday 10/25: Comfy Clothes Day – Students may come to school dressed in comfortable clothes. Acceptable wear: sweatpants, sweatshirts, hoodies, leggings, jeans, gym shoes.
The Red versus White color competition is a much-loved Sacred Heart Schools tradition. The students and faculty / staff who join the Sacred Heart Schools community are assigned to either the Red or White team.
Throughout the year, team members earn points for their team during events such as Penny Wars, art competitions, Spirit Week activities, Field Day and much more. Points are also rewarded for outstanding behavior in the lunch room and around campus. Student Life is constantly on the lookout to award points to students who also demonstrate school spirit and random acts of kindness. On the last day of the school year, the Team Spirit Award is presented to the winning color team.
Check the scoreboard regularly to see which team is leading the competition!
The 2019 Red and White Induction Ceremony will take place on Friday, Sept. 20, and each team member will be given a bandana representing their team.
To everyone who made
"Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat"
such a great success—
Actors, Crews, Musicians, Faculty, Parents, Audiences—
For our 18th musical at Sacred Heart, we were excited to present "Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat." Performances ran the weekend of April 5, 2019 (Friday evening, Saturday evening and Sunday afternoon). Justin Taylor Nixon and Jill Renn led our creative team along with Margo Oelerich and Tom Steele. All 6th through 8th grade students were invited and encouraged to participate either by auditioning for a role or serving on our crew team.
Click here to see the all the photos posted on Flickr.