Ways to Give
There are many ways to make a tax-deductible gift to Sacred Heart. No matter which method you choose, your support is deeply appreciated.
- Check, Credit Card, Money Order
- Marketable Securities
- Wire Transfer
- Employer Matching Gifts
- Tangible Personal Property
Online: Click here to make a credit card gift today! It is also possible to fulfill a gift through automatic installments charged to your credit card on a monthly or quarterly basis. Simply click on the "Recurring Gift" option to initiate.
Mail: Mail your check—made payable to Sacred Heart Schools—or credit card information to:
Sacred Heart Schools
6250 N. Sheridan Rd.
Chicago, IL 60660-1730
Telephone: Make your contribution by calling the Development Office at 773.681.8409.
Foundation Gifts: Gifts made by a private family foundation or donor advised fund on behalf of an individual or family will be credited to the donor’s giving record, as appropriate. Please notify the Development Office at 773.681.8409 of any intended gift through a foundation to ensure that it is correctly attributed.
A pledge is a promise to make a specified gift within a designated time period. Annual Fund pledges can be accepted over the phone; pledges to other campaigns should be made in writing by mail or e-mail. Pledge payment reminders are typically mailed semi-annually in December and April.
Annual Fund pledges should be completed within the fiscal year in which the pledge is made. Major gifts for endowment or capital purposes are often completed in installments over multiple years.
Account: Z71-530-204 (Sacred Heart Schools)
Employer Matching Gifts
Many corporations sponsor matching gift programs that multiply the impact of personal contributions made by employees, retirees, and/or spouses. Depending on your employer’s policy, these corporate contributions can match your gifts dollar for dollar, and even double or triple the value of your initial gift. Last year, matching gifts and pledges ranged from $75 to $20,000.
Matching gifts will be directed to the same area of support as your personal gift, unless company policies dictate otherwise. You will be recognized for the total amount contributed, which would include both your gift and any match. If you have questions or would like assistance with this process, please contact the Development Office at (773) 681-8409.
Please enter your employer's name below to find out if your company has a matching gift program for which Sacred Heart is eligible. Employers require you, as the donor, to initiate the process for matching your gift to Sacred Heart. Results may take a few seconds to load.
The Schools are entirely self-supporting and do not receive subsidies from the Catholic Church or the Society of the Sacred Heart. As a 501 (C) (3), not-for-profit institution, gifts to Sacred Heart (Federal Tax ID #36-2170839) are tax-deductible to the extent allowed by law. All gifts made between July 1 and June 30 are recognized in our Annual Report, mailed in the fall each year.
Sacred Heart Legacy Bricks are a wonderful way to commemorate your family's time here at Sacred Heart or to celebrate milestone events such as:
- First Communion
- Kindergarten and 8th Grade Graduation
- Prize Day
- Retirement of a favorite teacher or coach
- In memory of a deceased SHS community member
llinois Public Act 100-0465 created the Invest in Kids Act. This Act allows state income tax credits for individual and corporate taxpayers who make authorized contributions to a Scholarship Granting Organization (SGO). The SGOs, in turn, provide scholarships for eligible students to attend non-public schools in Illinois.
Sacred Heart Schools currently awards $2.7 million in tuition assistance annually to 20% of our students. To support Sacred Heart students through the Invest in Kids Act, designate your contribution to ‘Sacred Heart Schools - Academy Sacred Heart/Hardey Prep’ as the recipient of your tax credit.
The Illinois Tax Credit Scholarship Program, “Invest in Kids,” provides a 75 percent Illinois state income tax credit to individuals and corporations that contribute money to a non-profit Scholarship Granting Organization (SGO). The SGOs award scholarships to eligible students from low-income families.
Further information on tax credit scholarships
- An individual or corporation will receive a 75 percent credit on donations to an SGO. For example, if a person donates $100,000, they will receive a state tax credit of $75,000.
- Individual donors can designate their donations to a specific school or group of schools – Sacred Heart Schools – Academy Sacred Heart/Hardey Prep.
- The credit can be rolled over for five years.
- Donors are prohibited from receiving a federal tax deduction for these donations.
- The program is capped at $100 million in donations, resulting in $75 million in total tax credits issued.
- The credits are divided proportionally into five regions within the state (Sacred Heart Schools is in Region 1).
How does one donate?
- Set up an account with mytax.illinois.gov. The donor must request a “Letter ID” via this website. The “Letter ID” is sent via the postal service and can take 7-10 business days to arrive. For step-by-step instructions on how to request a “Letter ID” click here.
- Activate/Sign Up for your ‘my tax account’ once you receive your “Letter ID.” For step-by-step instructions on how to activate/sign-up for your ‘my tax account’ click here.
- Apply for a tax credit as soon as the application is open on the website (mytax.illinois.gov) beginning at 8 am (CST) on January 2, 2018 as credits are reserved on a first-come, first-served basis.
- Once approved, you will be issued a Contribution Authorization Certificate (CAC) by the Department of Revenue. Within 60 days, you must provide a copy of the CAC, along with the full contribution, to the Scholarship Granting Organization such as Empower Illinois. Designate your donation to Sacred Heart Schools (Academy Sacred Heart/Hardey Prep). Sacred Heart is in Region 1.
Every taxpayer’s situation is slightly different. We recommend that benefactors wishing to participate in this program speak with their tax advisor regarding the advantages and implications of the tax credit program and how a contribution to this program may reduce or eliminate your state tax liability.
Where can I get additional information?
The Invest in Kids website provides additional information for donors, SGOs, and schools. The Department of Revenue also published an Informational Bulletin that answers many common questions about the program. The Archdiocese of Chicago regularly maintains their FAQ’s. For more information on Sacred Heart’s SGO of choice, please visit Empower Illinois.